Monday, July 8, 2013

My first real foray into sprouting grains.

So the time had come for me to do the deed, the sprouting deed. I was so resistant to the entire process. I came up with quite a few excuses about how I wasn't eating grains, and how I didn't have the time, which was true. So many crazy events had happened in my school year that I didn't have a chance to focus on anything other than what I was trying to accomplish with the kids...

Once things had become a more normal state, it was time to begin making a sprouting name for myself. Again, remember that I had given up grains as an experiment. Ultimately I felt that there were a few things that needed to be purged from my system before heading into the next territory of whatever bio-individual experimentation I chose to divulge my nature in. Besides, at the time, the closest thing to fasting I could do, was to purge myself of the foods that seemed to be giving me digestive stress and some silent inflammation: dairy, wheat and soy. Fish and vegetables became the name of the game, and it was a refreshing new chapter in my food life. I was ready to make more striated muscularity.

And so my plan was working, but I did get hungry. Next thing I knew, I was clearing out my pantry and found some old wheatberries I hadn't eaten. Thinking that sprouting would offer me less carbohydrate (as it is the fuel used for sprouting and converting the berry into a deeper level of nutrients) and more protein was a guarantee. Add to that greater digestion power, and I had a meal forming that was worth eating.

I soaked the grains in an airtight mason jar and rinsed the berries twice daily. Before long I had tails growing from them. It was wonderful as I went ahead and cooked them up. They became my breakfast cereal for a few days with butter and agave nectar. Once I saw this non-threatening meal as a success, I went onto the big leagues with the brown rice. I wasn't trying to get too many sprouting projects done at once, though I had the idea all along of getting more sprouts into universal design.

The tongues of fire beans were next. An heirloom bean meant high quality food, so I went for it. The beans underwent a slightly different process, as I had to drain the remaining water after soaking time was through. I then rinsed the beans and allowed them to drain while being turned on its side or head, with a mesh top meeting the top of the jar. This encouraged me to take the time to make sure the beans were done properly. After a couple of days the beans were sprouting, and I didn't wait for them to get very long tails as I wanted to taste their higher food value loving goodness! I cooked them in a small bit of coconut oil and spices from a red cabbage dish I made in that same pan, a teaspoon of Prussian blue salt and a shake of both garlic and red pepper. I was very surprised and pleased by the tastes of all my sprouts!

The difference between the ordinary bean and grain and the sprouted bean or grain, is  mainly the taste and nutrient value, not necessarily in that order. I'm really excited to be able to create healthier foods around that help to improve my nutrient profile and offer me a better experience of my health, as I learn more about them.

I am so pleased to be able to produce healthy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment